Saturday, September 4, 2010

Response to Suggestion by WikiIslam that Women are Considered Equal to Dogs in Islam



Response to Suggestion by WikiIslam that Women are Considered Equal to Dogs in Islam


WikiIslam attempted to prove that women are considered no better than dogs and donkeys by the Holy Prophet (saw) in the Ahadith by quoting various traditions. I will quote the website here:

[BEGIN QUOTE]
"You have made us (i.e. women) dogs."
Narrated 'Aisha: The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said, "Prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman (if they pass in front of the praying people)." I said, "You have made us (i.e. women) dogs. I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in my bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I would slip away. for I disliked to face him."
Narrated 'Aisha: The things which annual prayer were mentioned before me (and those were): a dog, a donkey and a woman. I said, "You have compared us (women) to donkeys and dogs. By Allah! I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in (my) bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I disliked to sit and trouble the Prophet. So, I would slip away by the side of his feet."
Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas: Ikrimah reported on the authority of Ibn Abbas, saying: I think the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) said: When one of you prays without a sutrah, a dog, an ass, a pig, a Jew, a Magian, and a woman cut off his prayer, but it will suffice if they pass in front of him at a distance of over a stone's throw.

[END QUOTE]


The following tradition was left out by WikiIslam which proves a point besides the one made above:

Narrated 'Aisha: It is not good that you people have made us (women) equal to dogs and donkeys. No doubt I saw Allah's Apostle praying while I used to lie between him and the Qibla and when he wanted to prostrate, he pushed my legs and I withdrew them.  (Book #9, Hadith #498)
(Sahih Bukhari)

Either way, the meaning of the above Ahadith has been misconstrued, since Hazrat Ayesha (ra) was explaining that women were not equal to dogs and donkeys, rather it was alright for a woman to be in front of a man when he prayed. Hazrat Ayesha (ra) knew the Prophet better than the people so she corrected their views on the subject of praying without a Sutrah. She lived with him in his own home, while the people only learned about what he did when they saw him on some occasions.

As for the third Hadith about praying without a Sutrah, it is better for someone to not pass in front of another who is praying without a Sutrah since it can be spiritually harmful to that individual:

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When any one of you prays he should not let anyone pass in front of him (if there is no sutra), and should try to turn him away as far as possible, but if he refuses to go, he should turn him away forcibly for he is a devil.  (Book #004, Hadith #1023)
(Sahih Muslim)

The grievousness of passing in front of someone praying is given in the following Hadith:

Busr b Sa'id reported that Zaid b Khalid al-Juhani sent him to Abu Juhaim in order to ask him what he had heard from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) with regard to the passer in front of the worshipper. Abu Juhaim reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: If anyone who passes in front of a man who is praying knew the responsibility he incurs, he would stand still forty (years) rather than to pass in front of him Abu Nadr said: I do not know whether he said forty days or months or years.  (Book #004, Hadith #1027)
(Sahih Muslim)

Thus, the meaning of the above Ahadith are that it is better to not be in front of someone else while they are praying because of the sin one could get from being in front of someone. Hazrat Ayesha slipped away when the Prophet (saw) prayed and he was in front of him because of her courtesy for him and his concentration during his (saw)’s prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment